Are you a first responder? Police officer? Fire fighter? Ambulance technician? Paramedic? Do you know how to respond if you encounter a downed power line, or other electrical hazard, in the course of your work?
BC Hydro offers free Electrical Safety Training for all first responder personnel to ensure that they are aware of electrical hazards that they may encounter in emergency situations.
Learn the basics of how electricity behaves, how to keep yourself, your colleagues, and the public safe during an incident that involves electrical hazards, how to evaluate risks associated with working around electrical hazards and identify the decisions that need to be made when working around electrical hazards.
The program is one to two hours long (depending on audience) and includes a video, overhead projections, and a presentation delivered by knowledgeable presenters from the EETG.
• Overview of the electrical utility system
• Voltage and its effects on the human body
• Assessing electrical risks in emergency situations
• Step and touch potential: keeping safe distances
• Moving people out of energized areas
• Downed power lines and re-energization risks
• Underground hazards